Monday, April 5, 2010



People ask me a lot why we're going hitchhiking. "Don't you know it's dangerous!", they shout, before telling me about a friend of a friend of a friend who got killed by someone who picked them up. People ask us why we don't just take the train, or fly, or take the bus. People ask a lot of things.

There's a few reasons I'm going, and I think that it's safe to say that the reasons also apply to Steven, and Tommy, and Mike. My friends might have a different view on all of this than I do, and if they do then I imagine they'll make a post about it.

The first reason is pretty simple. It's very cheap to hitchhike. For the price of food and a sleeping bag and a few supplies, you can make it across the country. That's a far cry from the couple hundred we would pay for a plane ticket, or the even greater cost of a bus or train ticket. We're all in college, and we're all hurting for cash.

The second reason is what people don't understand so well. We all like adventure. Plain and simple. We like to put ourselves in situations where we don't know what will happen next. That's not to say we're reckless and dangerous and all that. We take every precaution to make sure we're being (relatively!) safe. That's true in this trip, as it has been for our backwoods camping, our boat building, our bouldering, and anything else we do. We don't want to take a plane because we don't get to see much of the country. You just see the world all tiny below you. We want the grit. We want the dirt and grime as well as all of the beautiful things that there are to see. We'll be going through a number of states, and it is our hope to see them up close. See them for real.

The third reason sort of has to do with the second. We want to meet people. On our first hitching trip, we met three phenomenally cool people, people who we never would have talked to otherwise. You get a good sampling, make some quick friends, and then you're off to the next adventure.

And that's why we want you to follow us. Because we think that life is nothing without a good adventure or two, and any good adventure has a good story. We'd like you all to see, or listen to, or read, or be a part of the story.

Yours truly,
Liam Odien

8 comments:

  1. yay yay how exciting - i wish you guys all the best!! Unfortunately cant give you any tips where to stay and all because i am in South africa but travel happy kids x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck to all of you and I hope you have a great time! I don't have any advice because I'm not much of an outdoors person, but I will say that my hometown is beautiful. If you get a chance, I think you'd really like Asheville, NC. The mountains are beautiful, and the city is full of diversity and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea and if I had more guts that I would be doing this too! If you folks pass through AZ I will drive you as far as I can to your next point or just steal you all away to Rocky Point for a beech adventure instead. But if by chance hit up northern AZ...Sedona is beautiful and you can see teh Grand Canyon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the support so far!
    @Shannon, we'll probably be in NC for at least a little bit, we'd love you to show us around or something!

    @Mari We'll be heading down I-10 all the way from CA to Florida, so we'll be in Arizona for a while. But it'll be Southern Arizona. We'd still love for some good times!

    Liam Odien

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. As for some advise.... Don't really have any to give other then if your taking the I-10 all the way bring a book or something, because right after you get out of Tucson all the way until you hit Las Cruces/Mesilla it is a very boring, empty, desert-ish, long trip. I have only been as far as El Paso though. And I would say gas is probably cheapest in Lordsburg or Deming. DO NOT I repeat do not eat at the KFC in Lordsburg if you guys just happen to stop and eat. Bad things happen to good people there. lol You guys will be passing right by me somewhere between San Simon and Lorsburg. Anyways best of luck. Hope you have a great trip. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh wow, best of luck you guys! This sounds like an interesting endevour!
    As for advice, I'd suggest that you always carry a pack of gum and offer some to the driver. It'll make them feel like you appreciate the lift!
    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hii im justine mullinax's sisterr...i am entering her giveaway so this is part of itt :)
    a fact about california is the capitol is Sacramentoo..hahaa you probably knew that but it is a factt (: good bye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are crazy but I wish you good Luck! I found you via Justines blog!

    So if you make it to Chicago......hmmm I would not go near the city, people there will not pick up hitch hikers. If you have the option. Try and go about and hour south of the city. Thats where it get into farm land and what not. I feel like people who drive pick up trucks and tractors out there would be more willing to give a ride. But I could be wrong. So like I said, good luck, I think you kids are brave!!!

    ReplyDelete